Posted by : Minimoo Friday 27 November 2015



Jarred Leslie, Decimal Agency’s Senior Art Director, opens up about his passion for creativity and art, and tells us about getting lost in nature.

According to Dictionary.com, advertising is the act or practice of calling public attention to one’s product, service or need.

For Jarred Leslie, Senior Art Director at Decimal Agency, advertising is much more than that. To him, creative advertising is the soul of branding a business. And without creativity, that advertising might be bland and insignificant.

Leslie says “Our clients come to us for the design and development of campaigns that will sell their services. We use creativity and strategy to come up with the best message in order to achieve this.”

Sitting down with Leslie, I am a little shocked that such a young, obviously-trendy man has so much knowledge about the industry. Leslie has a bubbly personality, something you would expect of somebody that is in advertising. His passion for creative excellence is very apparent as we discuss his love for all things artistic, creative and advertising-related:

Tell me something interesting about Jarred Leslie that the average person would not know?

I love the outdoors and living on the edge. Apart from my passion for advertising, I love extreme sports, especially Motorbike riding. In order to fuel my adrenaline-addiction, and strangely to escape the pressures of everyday life, I try to ride on- and off-road as much as possible. I find it clears my head and prepares me for the week ahead.

What do you love about the advertising industry?

Advertising is a very social, relationship-based industry. I love meeting with people and helping them grow their business in a creative, artistic way. Each client has a story, and I love bringing that story to life. Also, there is never a dull day in advertising: every day presents a new challenge.

What do you do at Decimal Agency?

I manage Decimal’s design team to ensure that the creative work we do for our clients meets their specific requirements. I also ensure that the work is on par with my highest standards: I don’t approve work that I wouldn’t want for my own company. However, I don’t agree with backseat driving, so I try to do as much as I can from a design and strategy perspective, while still giving my team the creative freedom to explore their own ideas.

What do you do FOR Decimal Agency?

Being an Art Director is more than just managing a team of creatives. It is about building relationships with clients, earning their trust and advising them on the best artistic direction for their Marketing communication. I also work hard to inspire my team to grow, explore and be better than their best.

What tools do you use in your career to achieve your goals?

Apart from the obvious creative programs and design equipment, I find that time management is probably the most important tool for me. I have a lot to get through in one day, meeting clients and reviewing work, so managing my time and following a concise diary is essential. I also believe in doing research in order to ensure that I am aware of what our clients’ competitors are doing, what the trends in the industry are and what new innovations there are that will help improve our service.

What gets your creative juices flowing?

I get inspiration from various mediums, but the thing that makes me think more creatively than anything else is being challenged with a new concept, or cracking an old problem. My colleagues help a lot with this: as much as I try to inspire them each day, they challenge me to grow and be better too. We learn from each other on a daily basis. Of course, a nice smoothie also helps every now and again.

In your opinion, what was the best campaign you headed, and who was it for?

The 2014 Soviet Summer Campaign was by far the most exciting campaign I have been part of. I learned a lot with that campaign. We traveled to Tzaneen and did a photoshoot in the forest. In order to add some authenticity to the shoot, I brought along a Honda 1977 750 4-stroke motorbike. It is a classic and added just that extra zing we needed for the campaign. However, on my way to the location, I got lost and missed the shoot. Luckily I had briefed the team the previous day, and everything went smoothly without me. It just goes to show: if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

What are the 5 things you do that benefit Decimal Agency’s clients?

- I am courteous and always make sure I listen to the client’s needs and requirements
- I am spontaneous, which means I try new things often. This keeps my work and ideas fresh and trendy
- I go beyond the call of duty to ensure our clients are more than happy with our service and the work  we deliver
- I under promise and over deliver: breaking a promise just to look good isn’t what I am about. I prefer surprising or clients with great work that turns heads and makes sales
- I meet deadlines. There is nothing worse than missing a client’s deadline. Advertising is about timing, and meeting that expectation is a very important requirement to being a good Art Director.

Where do you see Decimal in 5 years?

If we can maintain the pace at which we are growing now, I see Decimal Agency becoming one of South Africa’s leading advertising agencies. We have a lot of potential, and a lot of passion. That’s all you need to succeed.

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

Popular Post

Powered by Blogger.

- Copyright © Decimal Agency's Blog -